CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Before Anna

It is hard to think back to a time before Anna. It has been 7 months but it might as well be a lifetime ago.

My journey actually began in Bejing, China in December 2006. I went with my sister Kim and her husband to meet their daughter Lily. That experience changed my life. I began thinking about adopting. I also made it to the top of the Great Wall of China. For a plump out of shape woman, it was a profoundly proud moment....It was so beautiful at the top. I cannot wait to return to China with Lily and Anna.

For me, as a Christian, single woman, my only option for a child is adoption. Plus, if we are being honest, I have never desired to be pregnant. I used to joke that if I ever was pregnant, I was going to deliver in a country that still knocked you out. Anyway, I kept thinking about a baby of my own.

From the moment I started, Ethiopia had always been on my short list. Around June of 2007 my sister mentioned that if I was thinking about adopting and considering Ethiopia, I should start soon. Programs were closing and the wait in China was crazy long. So in August of 2007 on a Sunday, I went to an informational meeting at Children's Hope International. It was the agency my sister used for China and they had the best experience.

I went, filled out the paperwork and was ready to submit it. I called on Tuesday because I wanted to drop the application off. The lady informed me that they were no longer accepting singles. They were to be limited to 5 a year and they had 13 already signed up. I hung up the phone, ran to the bathroom at work and burst into tears!!!!!!! I am nothing if not professional!
When I finished crying (for the first time), I called my sister Kim. She told me to get online and find a small agency. Most of them would not have had 5 single women yet. I got on line and a woman from Texas named Grace pointed me to Hope Adoption Agency. The funny part, is that Hope is 15 minutes from my house.

I talked to Shimeliss (or Shim as I call him) who is the director of Hope. He is an Ethiopian man with a heart for Ethiopian Children. He called Ethiopia that night and their were no immediate plans to stop singles from adopting. Rumors had begun saying it might happen. So off we went.
I was a mad woman who cried many frustrating tears as I sped through Dossier assembly.

I sent it off, and one week later I get an e-mail from Shimeliss in Ethiopia on November 5, 2007. Here it is.....


Hi Rhonda!

Nice to hear from you! I have decided to refer the baby girl I told you about to you! I have visited her and held her in myarms she is ADORABLE!! Her name is Mitslal. She is about three months old. Her profile is being put together and I will attach and e-mail you.


Have a great day,Shimeliss Demissie, BS, MS.Ed

Well no profile until Shimeliss returns to the Sates. Ethiopia has dialup internet and well I had to wait. Anyway, I write little ditties to pass the time and here is my punk song, "Photo" that I shared with my Hopesters. Here is that post.

Does anyone else get the need to call him Shim? I would never, but sometimes that is how I think of him.Any way, I am a dork and I think it is time again for a song.
Lasttime it was the blues. This one is a punk rock song called PHOTO.

Shimeliss is hopefully ariving today,
and I want a photo in a bad way.
I've known about Anna for over 5 weeks,
It is that photo, that now I do seek.
Give me my PHHHHOOOOOTOOOO!
Give me my PHHHHOOOOOTOOOO!
I won't take NOOOOONOOOOOO!
So give me my PHHHHOOOOTOOOO!
Chris wants her referral,
She is tense like a pretzel.
Grace wants news about Vivvi & Fitty too,
She wants them home to dress them up in tuttoos.
Amber got a referral of a two year old,
She wants the photo to have an to hold,
SoGive her her PHHHHOOOOTOOOOO!
Give her her PHHHHOOOOTOOOOO!
She won't take NOOOONOOOOOO!
So give her her PHOOOOTOOOOO!
We could converge on the airport
But we may be arested as stalkers and taken to court
So we wait so imppatienly
Hoping Shimeliss will contact us immediately.
We all want our PHHHOOOOOTOOOO!
Please give us a PHHOOOOOTOOOO!
Before we go LOOOOCOOOOOO!
Just one little PHOOOTOOOO!

Not a classic, but it is how we felt.

Tune in tomorrow when I get my PHOOOOTOOOOO!!!!!!

Blessings,

Rhonda

5 comments:

Sandee said...

I love it Rhonda....welcome to the blog world. I will be following you and little Anna.

Hugs.

~holly said...

You did it Rhonda! Yea! Welcome to the blogging world!

Rebecca said...

I'm so happy you started a blog! Go Rhonda!!!!!!

Chris said...

YAY A blog FINALLY :)))))))))))))
I know your story because I was with living every minutes of it :) Well online :) But I will read every word your write :)

Rebecca said...

Woman!!
I can't believe you actually did it...started a blog! I'm so proud of you! :) It looks great!! Love you girls!!!!